The student will be introduced to the applicable training aircraft. She/he will be made aware of the importance of a proper pre-flight inspection, as well as developing the awareness of the environment surrounding the aircraft, and the associated safety precautions.
- Assessment of potential hazards and risks to aircraft environment
- Helicopter ground maneuvering safety to aircraft and personnel
- Standard operating approach and departure procedures applicable to training school
Preflight preparation procedures:
- Required documentation and authorization procedures before and after flight
- Helicopter inspection interval within required time limit.
- Documents to be carried on board aircraft and their validity
- The use of checklists for preflight, helicopter startup and shutdown procedure
- Refueling procedures, precaution, risk management and fuel and oil grade to be used.
- Ground safety procedures
- Threat and error management in the cockpit
- Available Emergency equipment and survival gear
At the completion of this lesson, the student, with instructor assistance, will be able to sign out the relevant authorization sheets, confirm that the helicopter is within the maintenance inspection interval, express certain considerations and risk mitigation solutions in the immediate helicopter environment, use checklists to conduct a preflight inspection, start the engine, and shutdown.